Thursday, December 01, 2011
FAITHFUL SERVANT - THE MIDLAND CITY
The Midland City was built in Glasgow Scotland in 1870. She was 120’ X 32’ at that time under the name of Maud and working in Kingston ON. In 1895 she was enlarged and renamed the America. In 1920 she came to Georgian Bay as a steam side-wheeler and renamed as the S.S. Midland City by the Georgian Bay Tourist Company of Midland. The ship was well staffed and luxurious by the days standards and including a restaurant and staterooms for the wealthy. She even had space to transport two cars. In 1933 she was converted to a propeller motor ship. She sank several times on Georgian Bay - the first in 1926 when tied to the dock when a storm tilted her and her open portholes filled her with water. The second in 1934 on return from Go Home Bay she struck a reef at Present Island and she was beached on Midland Point to prevent lose. In 1955 she was de-registered and she was hauled up where Wye Heritage Marina is now. It is unclear exactly where the hull is in the marina - some say she is buried as part of the gas dock pier, some say in the Wye River right beside the marina and possibly on the north side of the marina R dock jetty. There are a number of ships in there so there is confusion over which is which. In any event she loyally served cottagers and tourists for 35 years and at the time of de-commissioning she was the oldest commercial passenger vessel operating in North America.